Saturday, January 31, 2009
Friday, January 23, 2009
This really needs more advanced math than I am teaching.
This is the first one I spotted in StumbleUpon almost 2 years ago:
MathematiciansPictures.com has nice clocks featuring famous mathematicians. This one is my favourite, since it contains the most beautiful equation. The Euler Clock:
For a reminder, this is the one I introduced before. It also has some inaccuraties. 9 is only an estimate and 7 has two solutions.
Kaboodle had this clock made of numbers
Friday, January 16, 2009
Today I was checking my Google Reader and found this post. After watching a couple of videos I registered to ScreenToaster and here is my first puzzle tutorial. The video is clear and the uploading was really fast.
I have to practise some more before I add the voice. This one had also problems at first; my Vista informed that the color scheme was changed to Vista Basic, and the information pop-up threw me out of the recording screen. How much time I have spent solving problems created by Vista...
The puzzle is one of the weekly puzzles from Conceptis
Saturday, January 10, 2009
Players had fewer "flashbacks", perhaps because it helped disrupt the laying down of memories, said the scientists.It is hoped the study could aid the development of new strategies for minimising the impact of trauma.
88% of players indicated they experienced stress relief from playing casual games and 74% cited mental exercise as a benefit; when asked to choose the most important reasons for playing, 41% picked "stress relief/relaxation," more than twice the number (19%) who chose "entertainment"; 27% said the games provided distraction from chronic pain and/or fatigue, and fully 8% said they derived actual relief from chronic pain and/or fatigue.
Other things in their life get neglected, sometimes even their health gets neglected, their grades start to suffer, relationships start to suffer, and so it starts to bear all the behavioral hallmarks of an addiction. And so I think that’s why the term has emerged.
Using traditional abstinence-based treatment models the clinic has had very high success rates treating people who also show other addictive behaviours such as drug taking and excessive drinking.
But Mr Bakker believes that this kind of cross-addiction affects only 10% of gamers. For the other 90% who may spend four hours a day or more playing games such as World of Warcraft, he no longer thinks addiction counselling is the way to treat these people. "In most cases of compulsive gaming, it is not addiction and in that case, the solution lies elsewhere."
Seems a bit controversial to me. In logic this is called circular reasoning.
Saturday, January 3, 2009
Sol covers all aspects of math from the fear of it to the fun of it and takes care of all ages from kindergarten to university. Even his Blogroll is full of math bloggers.
Here are some posts I enjoyed the most:
8 really fun paper and pencil Math games
Interesting little Math problem
Five constants tie together multiple branches of mathematics
What patterns can you find in Pascal’s triangle?
Ti-Nspire inspires Math students
The last one is important to me at the moment. I have a trial version of the TI-Nspire program and I was planning to check it over the holidays. I guess I am running out of time...
Sol has also made great mathcasts (videos)
I still have lots to learn!